Opening hours winterNovember 1 until March 31
Daily except Monday
How exactly does a visit to the Hortus work? Of course, a number of things have changed because of the virus. On this page you can read what is and what is not possible at the moment.
The Hortus is open, as are the Tropical Glasshouses, the Wintergarden and the Hortus Grand Café. Booking a ticket in advance is mandatory. Book your ticket here. Please note: The Tropical Glasshouses open at 11:00 AM.
The visitors centre in the Old Observatory is open again as well. It's open on weekends from 10:00-18:00, you can find the entrance in the back of the Hortus near the Singel. At the moment the exhibition 'Drake Equation' is on display. You can also take a walk-in tour during the weekend, ask for more information at the Hortus entrance.
All measures in a row:
- Booking your visit in advance is necessary - also for Museum Card holders and Friends of the Hortus.
- Individual visitors to the Hortus can book a time slot online. This also applies to Museumkaart holders. There is always room for Friends of the Hortus, but please reserve your ticket for source and contact research. Book your ticket here.
- Our opening hours are Monday to Sunday 10:00 to 18:00 (last admission 17:30). In June, July and August 2021 the Hortus is also open on Wednesday evenings until 9 P.M.
-From June 2 to September 1, 2021, the Hortus will conduct a trial with a second entrance at Sterrenwachtlaan. The opening hours of the entrance are: Wednesday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday from 10:00 - 17:00. On Wednesdays the entrance can also be used between 18:00 and 21:00 due to the Wednesday evening programming. The second entrance will be closed in case of code orange/code red or weather forecasts with rain all day (based on the weather app Buienradar).
- You have a choice of two walking routes marked in the garden.
- The 1.5 meter rule still applies. Please wear a mouth mask in the indoor locations: at the entrance, in the store, the catering pick-up point and the toilets.
- Groups are no larger than 4 people or 1 household.
- Only come if you feel healthy. So none of the following complaints in the past 24 hours: cold symptoms, rhinitis, runny nose, sore throat, mild cough or elevation. A check-up will take place upon arrival.
- The Hortus Grand Café is open. Enjoy a cup of coffee or a meal inside or on the terrace. Making a reservation is adviced, you can reserve a spot here: https://www.hortusleiden.nl/tafel-reserveren.
- The store is open seven days a week, from 10:00 to 18:00. Last entry is at 5:30 pm.
- The restrooms in the Winter Garden, in the Old Observatoryand and in the Garden House are open between 10:00 and 18:00.
- Will you be using public transport when visiting the Hortus? Buy a ticket for the Hortus from 10:00 and no later than 14:00 so as not to burden the public transport system during rush hour. Avoid the public transport when you can. More information about parking can be found here.
- Tours/visits with larger groups are temporarily not possible.
- More information about renting out event venues can be found here.
Daily except Monday
3 October 2021 (Leidens Ontzet).
25 December 2021 t/m 2 January 2022 (Christmas Holiday).