Opening hours winterNovember 1 until March 31
Daily except Monday
The Hortus is open. The Tropical Glasshouse, the Wintergarden and the Hortus Grand Café are also open. The Tropical Glasshouse opens at 11:00 am. As of June 26, it's no longer required to wear a face mask in the indoor areas and booking a visit in advance is no longer neccessary. Guided tours are possible again, too.
The visitors centre in the Old Observatory is open on weekends from 10:00-18:00, you can find the entrance in the back of the Hortus near the Singel. At the moment the exhibition 'Drake Equation' is on display. You can also take a walk-in tour during the weekend, ask for more information at the Hortus entrance.
Update as of June 26, 2021:
- As of June 26, it is no longer required to book a reservation in advance to your visit to the Hortus. However, we continue to recommend booking a ticket in advance to avoid queues. If you want to be sure to enter right away, please book a ticket.
- As of June 26, it is no longer mandatory to wear a face mask in the indoor areas of the Hortus, unless it is not possible to keep 1.5 meters distance. We trust that our visitors can assess this for themselves. We continue to recommend carrying a mouth mask with you just to be on the safe side.
- As of June 26, outdoor tours are possible again. Only in the outside areas and for up to ten persons per tour guide. More information.
Current corona measures in the garden:
- Keep 1.5 meters distance from other visitors and our staff. In the Hortus there is a maximum capacity of 1 visitor per 5m2.
- Only come if you feel healthy. So none of the following complaints in the past 24 hours: cold symptoms, rhinitis, runny nose, sore throat, mild cough or fever. A check-up will take place upon arrival.
-Our opening hours are Monday through Sunday 10:00 am to 6:00 pm (last entry 5:30 pm).
- The Hortus Grand Café is open seven days a week, from 10:00-18:00. Reserve a table at https://www.hortusleiden.nl/tafel-reserveren.
- The Hortus giftshop is open seven days a week, from 10:00am-6:00pm. Last entry is at 5:30 pm.
- Restrooms in the Wintergarden, in the Observatory and in the Garden House are open between 10:00 and 18:00.
- Will you be using public transport when visiting the Hortus? Buy a ticket for the Hortus from 10:00 and no later than 14:00 so as not to burden the public transport system during rush hour. Avoid public transport when you can. More information about parking can be found here.
Daily except Monday
3 October 2021 (Leidens Ontzet).
25 December 2021 t/m 2 January 2022 (Christmas Holiday).