As a Friend of the Leiden Hortus you will contribute to the preservation and upkeep of the oldest botanical garden in the Netherlands, and thus also help maintain biodiversity. Together we can ensure that this place, a green oasis in the historic centre of Leiden with a rich history and a unique collection of plants, will always be here, and increase enthusiasm for, and consciousness of, the importance of nature. You can choose from four Friendship options:
Friend of the Hortus for 1 person
- Free entry to the Hortus and Friends events for 1 person.
- From €27.50 per calendar year.
Friend of the Hortus for 2 people (with guest or partner)
- Free entry to the Hortus and Friends events for 2 people
- From €40.00 per calendar year.
Young Friend of the Hortus (to 16 years)
- Free entry to the Hortus and Friends events for 1 person
- From €15.00 per calendar year.
Your contribution will largely be used for annual theme exhibition and activities related to preservation of the Hortus.
- Free entry to the Hortus and Friends events for 4 people
- From €100.00 per calendar year.
As a a Clusius Friend you will support the Hortus in implementing larger, incidental projects, such as the planned renovation of the pond and the installation of a sprinkler system in 2021, the completion of the Chinese herb garden in 2016 and the redesign and renovation of the Winter Garden in 2019.
Benefits of becoming a Friend:
- Free entry to the Hortus, Friends events, Midsummer Night and the Plant Market 1 person, 2 people or 4 people, depending upon the sort of Friendship you choose.
- A special Hortus magazine 1 x per year full of information about the Hortus the activities, plus interesting articles.
- 10% discount in the Hortus shop (excluding books)
- Free entry to the Hortus Amsterdam
- Free entry to Arboretum Kalmthout in Belgium
- Free entry to botanical garden Pinetum Blijdenstein in Hilversum (once a year)
- Specially for Clusius Friends and Young Friends: An exclusive tour of the Hortus once a year.
What is the difference between a ‘guest’ and a ‘partner’?
If you choose for a ‘guest’ you can bring along someone different each time. You will receive 1 digital Friends Card. If you choose for a ‘partner’ then your partner will also receive a Friends Card, which means that you and your partner can go to the Hortus and Friends events together or separately.
A Friend for life
You may also choose to be a lifelong 'Friend of the Hortus for 2 people' or ‘Clusius Friend’ by making a one-time donation of €2,000-€4,000. To learn more about the conditions and/or to registrer as a Friend for life, please call our office on 071-5275144. Friends for Life can also make use of the ANBI benefits.Registration